What is known as a dumpster in the United States, is called a skip in the United Kingdom – a large container with an open top that is designed to load onto a special type of transport. Instead of being emptied into a waste vehicle onsite, the skip is replaced by an empty bin and then later tipped into a dumpsite. In the United Kingdom, you can hire a skip for personal, commercial and industrial reasons.
Skips come in a variety of sizes, including :
- 2 cubic yard Mini Skip – good for small house and garden jobs
- 4 cubic yard Midi Skip – good for kitchen and bathroom refits
- 6 cubic yard Small Builder Skip – good for bulky waste
- 8 cubic yard Large Builder Skip – the largest skip for heavy waste
- 10 and 12 cubic yard Maxi Skip – good for large house clearances
The average cost of skip hire is £175 including VAT and the average skip size is 8 cubic yards.
Small to mid sized 3 yard skips cost around £50 to 60.
A 50 yard roll-on, roll-off skip can cost £400 or more .
Factors Affecting the Cost of Skips
Professional waste management and recycling efforts can affect the cost of a skip. Your location will also play a role in skip hire prices, as costs vary from postcode to postcode – according to your distance from the depot. The more waste you need to get rid of, the higher the cost of a skip. If your waste requires specialized management, the cost of a skip will reflect this factor. In the end, your skip hire is also subject to 17.5% VAT.